Roast Sweet Potatoes is one of the simplest yet most flavorful side dishes to make and serve. It goes well with a wide variety of side dishes, from roast or fried chicken, to all types of barbecued meats, to steaks and chops of beef and pork. It also works as a breakfast side for egg dishes, as part of a filling for crepes, or folded into omelets with mild white cheeses such as Meunster or Havarti.
Feel free to be creative in lightly adding other herbs and spices to the olive oil coating, including but not limited to granulated garlic, thyme, celery seed, or a sprinkling of a barbecue rub.
Roast Sweet Potatoes
- 2 Sweet potatoes
- Olive oil
- Preheat an oven to 375°F, or 400°F for crispier sweet potatoes.
- Peel the sweet potatoes, and cut into 1/2" cubes. In a large mixing bowl, toss the cubes with just enough olive oil for a thin coating. Sprinkle lightly with salt and pepper.
- Roast on a baking sheet for 45 minutes at 375°F, or 30 minutes at 400°F, tossing halfway through.
- Serve drizzled lightly with balsamic reduction.
- 2 cups Balsamic vinegar
- Gently bring 2 cups balsamic vinegar to a steaming simmer.
- Simmer for about 10 minutes to 50% volume. At that point, the reduction should be able to coat the back of a spoon dipped in it.
- Remove from the heat and allow to cool before transferring to a glass container.